Lake Bracciano is the second largest in Latium and of volcanic origin, hence its circular shape and great depth (about 540 ft). It is surrounded by forests, olive groves and gardens, and its outlet is the Arrone river, rising next to Anguillara and ending in the Tyrrhenian sea near Fregene. A sluice constructed by the end of the 1700's is still working perfectly, maintaining a constant water level. It feeds the Acquedotto Paulo, constructed under Pope Paul V at the beginning of the 1600's in order to supply the Vatican with fresh water.
The Castle of Bracciano (Castello Orsini-Odescalchi) was built by Napoleone Orsini between 1470 and 1485. Among its most famous guests have been the King of France Charles VIII and Pope Sixtus IV. It is extremely well preserved and considered to be one of the most important castles in Italy. The castle is open to visitors and beautifully decorated with frescoes and original furniture.
> > > Click the pictures for a larger view < < <
Castle of Bracciano
Lake Martignano is located at the bottom of a volcanic crater which is part of the Sabini range of hills. It lies in the area of Anguillara Sabazia, province of Roma, region of Latium, and its environment is unspoiled because there are no roads or houses, apart from two farms, in the surrounding area. The lovely surrounding countryside is made up of cultivated farm land, pastures and thick vegetation reaching down to the edges of the lake.